Saturday, February 4, 2017

Recipe: You’ll Love My Special Raised Dough Coffee Cake!



cut coffee cake.jpeg
My  coffee cake recipe  freezes well.


If you want to taste a delicious raised sweet dough coffee cake topped with thick nuggets of butter, flour, sugar and cinnamon, then you definitely need to try the recipe that I’m about to share. 

The secret to this recipe for keeping my coffee cake so soft and extra tender may surprise you because I do something unique.  Instead of milk and eggs, I save the water that I boil potatoes in for mashed potatoes just for this purpose. 

Another trick that you should be aware of is how to keep your crumb topping sinking into the cake as it bakes.  You can solve this by using a brush and painting the top of your unbaked cake once it’s in the pan lightly with oil.  

What I do is save that potato water after draining, cool, then refrigerate until the next day when I want to bake.  All I do is heat on the stove or microwave before mixing with my dough ingredients.

If you follow my recipe, you will get about three large cakes to fit pans about  13 x 9-inches.



uncut coffee cake.jpeg
You get three nice-sized coffee cakes with my recipe!

My Special Raised Dough Coffee Cake


2 tablespoons of dry yeast (2 packets)
½ warm water with a teaspoon of sugar to proof the yeast
1-1/4 cups of sugar
2/3 cup of corn or canola oil  
2-1/2 cups of water that you cooked potatoes in
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon of salt
about 6-1/2 to 7 cups of sifted flour 

Topping:

3/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup of butter or 1 stick
3/4 cup of flour

Add your yeast to the measured one-half cup of very warm water that also has the teaspoon of sugar.  The sugar will help feed the yeast to make it grow faster.  You’ll see bubbling action sooner this way.

In the meantime, heat your reserved potato water until warmed through.

Slowly start adding some of the flour (a few cups at a time), sugar, salt, nutmeg, oil with the yeast mixture and potato water.  I like to use a wooden spoon to combine.  Keep adding your flour until you form soft, pliable dough.

Cover, keep in a warm place and allow it to grow for about 1-1/2 hours until doubled.

When the dough has risen, lightly grease three cake pans (approximately 13 x 9") and divide the dough and fit into each pan.  Use your rolling pin and knife to form a square shape for a uniform cake.

Sprinkle and divide the topping on each cake, cover and let grow about another one hour.

To make the Topping:

Crumble the butter and other ingredients together to form little balls like you would do to make pastry.

Preheat your oven to 350-degrees and bake about 25-minutes or until a cake tester or slender knife comes out clean.

ENJOY!